Frequently Asked Questions
Using our own proprietary system of powder coated aluminum profiles:
- Our aluminum profiles are extruded in Portland, Oregon.
- They are then stored at our powder coating supplier in Langley, BC until they are ready to coat in the chosen colour.
- IMDesign optimizes the materials needed for each project and sends in a purchase order to our powder coater.
- Once the order is completed and well-packaged it gets shipped to our shop on Pender Island.
- IMDesign cuts the different profiles to size and assembles the base cabinets, drawer bases, shelves and door/drawer fronts.
- Cabinets are then fitted with hardware and storage options.
Extrusion is a process used to create objects of a fixed cross-sectional profile. Aluminum is pushed or pulled through a die of the desired cross-section. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KhOwJVvTZk
IMDesign has its very own proprietary dies to produce its profiles at Sapa's facility in Portland, Oregon.
Powder coating is a type of coating that is applied as a free-flowing, dry powder. The main difference between a conventional liquid paint and a powder coating is that the powder coating does not require a solvent to keep the binder and filler parts in a liquid suspension form. The coating is typically applied electrostatically and is then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a "skin". (source: Wikipedia)
No, they're at the same temperature as the inside of your house. They are durable and robust and the soft close on the drawers and doors make their day to day use smooth and comfortable.
No, the powder coated finish on the cabinets makes it difficult to scratch and the thickness of the aluminum makes them very durable.
Yes, all the storage hardware, pull-outs, organizers, pulls and handles work on our cabinetry.
You can choose any countertop you would like; natural stone, quartz, recycled glass to name some. Our cabinets are perfect for any of the coutnertops available on the market.
The best answer is Why not?
Aluminum is a healthy and sustainable alternative to wood. It also has an excellent quality-cost ratio. Plus, they just look good!